It’s a boy.
That puppy love brought forth a boy, Junior. He was the first child and the first son. He will be a junior.
and there were tears. soft cries of joy.
and Junior was ambitious. he climbed for freedom from his playpen and the security gate / he had his father’s eyes. Junior
and his father’s hefty build. shoulders, a parallel span to the sky.
and speaking of skies, Junior told his father with a trembling voice,
he saw “Satan chasing the angel and the angel running into the face of God”
and his father chuckled until he saw the picture sent from his son’s cellphone. then he believed him /
Continue reading he Howled / no cry (a prose)
Their words inspire internationally. Boldly illustrate the colors of political change and voices options in curing our societal ills. Our fractured diction has been preserved through early works of Sonia Sanchez’s, “We a baddDDD People“. Maya Angelou spoke honestly for being sexually irresponsible as she grew to conquer her mystery as a woman in “Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water ‘Fore I Diiie“. And Ntozake Shange and June Jordan re-defined the writing style known as prose with lengthy poetic pieces. These two could quite easily and possibly be credited for the birth of “performance poetry.” I dare say we unanimously agree that these women join the ranks of men who taught us through their works the tools to envelop a devoted love for our community, children, and self love. Now, as I take on ownership of their continued path, I get lost for direction when it comes to being a selfless artist and balancing a successful relationship simultaneously. They didn’t write that down for me! Is it perhaps because they are all divorced and never remarried themselves? Do they know the answer? So… I wanna’ talk about it…
Why are all my sheroes single?
I have not found the poem or story that tells me how to be a vulnerable artist for a voice of people and then sincerely transform into his confidante and lover. The consistent downfall of my relationships are me not being afforded the space and freedom I need to be an artist. The process is very selfish and my partners understand that only 45% of the time. The other 55% is spent with their conscious or unconscious repeated attempts of trying to get to the root of my creative power. If I can’t practice my art with the space I need, I’m half a person. Which means he’ll only be getting half too, then we’re both unhappy and it ends.
Continue reading Art and Loving a Man
40 Words of Wisdom Every Parent Needs to Give Their Child
“My papa was never a rolling stone / my papa’s a firm rock that stayed in our home.”
“I was raised on stories of return and that hope is still alive in my father’s eyes.”
“I had fears of picking up my son, I thought my hands were too rough and I would scratch him but my fears had to go.”
“He was happy to be no quite happy, happy enough for his daughters so that they could have a life with more opportunities than his had full bellies.”
My mother taught me how to make a living.
My father showed me how to create a life to live.
She was deemed responsible.
He was deemed selfish.
… I want to be selfishly responsible from here on out.