The merlot on my tongue
won’t allow me to speak.
I stain my pillow with attached prayers of something
betwixt the Ghana of my mane.
I walk with a cane looped to my belt to beat a fall
design distance from cerebral lessons
I wear tight shoes to ensure carefully calculated steps
and disavow chances and dances with love.
taken from the book:
Get your autographed copy here
Be sure to watch all the first season of REBEL this week on BET.com. And check out the poetry for the series called REBEL YELL. Here is the full video for the poem, Reverse Opinions.
Be sure to watch your favorite episodes of REBEL on BET.com this week! And enjoy the poetry on REBEL YELL as well. This video is entitled, “Scoreboard”
Be sure to watch your favorite episodes of REBEL on BET.com this week! And enjoy the poetry on REBEL YELL as well. This one is entitled, “bang bang”
Catch up with your favorite episodes of “REBEL” this week! And enjoy the poetry written for the series as well on, REBEL YELL. Click here for “Almost a Lamentation”
Get a poetic recap to the hit drama, “REBEL” before the season 1 finale airs tonight! Make sure you check your local listings and TUNE IN this edge of your seat finale.
Here you can find all things “REBEL” including the four poems I wrote for, “Rebel Yell”:
Almost a Lamentation
Cleaning the house
Driving around doing errands
Spoken word from my one and only poetry cd, “Moody” Just click and enjoy;-)
Being a woman is not a story, we cannot be placed as non-fiction on your shelf
It is a movement
an expansion of bones.
being a Woman is a lesson in astronomy.
cooking chili is a recipe and then it is done
being a Woman is not a story.
We are not dialogue to be used in moving a plot forward
We are more than fixtures in the home after work and school
We hold more than bedtime consultation sessions
We are not chili to be written as a recipe and then close the book once the dish is done.
And this is what “Rebel” is about
- She is beautiful hairstyles and more
- She has impeccable taste in good looking men and more
- She is fearlessly learning the tango in predominately male environments
- in a home life with a father and brother to the military to the police force
- She is showing the peculiar walk of being African American in America
- the tightrope performance of being a Woman with self determination
- She speaks the language where
“Im ok”, means terrified
“And I’m good”, means I’m paralyzed
but She makes it look like manicured oak trees on an antebellum tour
8. She’s a mixture of Big Mama with a Ph.D. in Street Knowledge
9. demanding that profit in death precedes her brother, not with or after
- /his slain will not be in vain / this can’t be another Emmett Till / another Medgar Evers / another Oscar Grant
- we now know when we refuse to be silent
10. we shut down freeways! block bucks that drench downtown power
we raise bail money for the forgotten
we move our stories from the page to the stage
from minors to the big leagues
we make everyone Say Her Name
We tittie to mouth our babies at the pews on Sunday and at tea time on Monday
- We hold writers accountable to tell our truths / color our beauty, litter her with life
11. And they show Her allowance in letting Her body being pleased
12. Her occasional leisure in blowing trees to the wind
being a Woman is not a story that is non-fiction and simply closed.
- This show insists we talk about
13. care for the elderly
14. the vulnerability of our Veterans
16. when children become the parents
17. when being black is stronger than blue
18. when being black is stronger than making green
when right is stronger than wrong
19. when persistence forces police lieutenants to make night calls
knocking on doors like parental phone calls after 9pm / humbling
20. We love Rebel because she fights like the race of stretch marks across once raised wombs
She fights like lightening stripes, thunder bolts and tiger claws
She is full of mistakes but not abandoned from perfection.
If you haven’t seen “Rebel” you DO WANT TO BINGE WATCH the series before the finale on Tuesday. The finale is an edge of the seat 60 minute ride! Go to BET.com for episode information.