The alarm goes off on your nightstand. You hit the snooze button, stay in the bed and begin to race your entire day through your head. ‘Take a shower, the iron is in the basement so wear something that doesn’t need ironing, wear sandals today (wait, how is your toenail polish?), gloss or lipstick today?’ All these thoughts come to the front of the day and then a knock on your bedroom door… ‘Can I come in? Can we have French toast for breakfast? Can I use your phone charger? Do I have to go to swim class today?’ Now your priorities have shifted once again… and you still aren’t out of the bed.
This is the typical day for any single working mom. And in my case, a writer/artist and newly active aunt of five. My life became guided with demands and needs from other people. I had to abandon my “in the spur of the moment” lifestyle and be more proactive. I now had to plan meals (actually write a grocery list), wash loads of clothes, comb four heads instead of one, add teachers, guidance counselors and coaches to my speed dial and so much more.
I recall one of the first days a cousin of mine volunteered to get everyone out of the house. I sat on the couch and couldn’t think of the first thing to do for myself. I could’ve written two pages worth on what I needed to do for the kids. Believe it or not, it actually took me some time to figure out what I should do with myself while the kids were away and I found myself writing some of my former past times in my journal.
So, when you get that afternoon or evening alone and want to clear your head and escape all of your “to do’s” for everyone else, try these five things to re-member yourself.
(5) Pay back to get back! Be conscious and in the moment and give sincere compliments to total strangers. Their immediate and genuine eye contact with you will be very connecting. Additionally, on the back end you’ll get compliments in return when you least expect it.
(4) Get lost in a bookstore or even the local library. Look through the pages of your favorite authors new book. Pick up a magazine and be entertained with the latest fashions and/or entertainment news.
(3) Find a bench and people watch. You still get a lot of motion around you but you are not involved. Enjoy some ice cream while doing this!
(2) Take a long bath. Make it aromatherapy and add your favorite oil. Pop in your favorite cd to add to your relaxation. And don’t be afraid to put your head under the water!
(1) Call a friend and talk for hours. Share what has been going on in your life and seek advice. And don’t forget to laugh and drop the phone and pick it back up and laugh some more! 😉